Chief of Party
USAID Ecuador New Environmental and Economic
Reactivation Partnerships Initiative Program
The National Cooperative Business Association CLUSA International (NCBA CLUSA) is seeking a candidate for the position of Chief of Party for anticipated USAID-funded “New Environmental and Economic Reactivation Partnerships Initiative” (ENEERPI) in Ecuador. The purpose of Program is to Strengthen Solid Waste Management in the Galapagos and Manabí, Ecuador. The Activity has two objectives: (a) create a financially and ecologically sustainable circular economy for solid waste (b) Landfill management capacity to be strengthened in order to reduce plastic waste runoff and significantly increase the quantity of recyclable materials collected, while improving work and economic conditions for informal waste collectors.
The expected duration of the Program is up to 60 months, beginning in September 2023. This will be a contract position pending award from USAID.
Essential Areas of Responsibility:
- Provide overall technical vision, leadership, and oversee the design and implementation of program activities.
- Lead internal and external program planning and reporting, including annual work planning with consortium partners.
- Work closely with NCBA CLUSA Headquarters to ensure high-quality periodic reporting.
- Serve as the primary representative of the Program to USAID, relevant government entities, partners, and other implementers and stakeholders.
- Ensure program harmony among Program staff and consortium partners
- Manage, supervise, and build capacity of all field staff, long‐term staff, short‐term staff, consortium partners, as proposed.
- Develop and manage a team that includes members of diverse backgrounds in order to successfully co-create and implement a sustainable integrated design.
- Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity, social inclusion and capacity building into all activities as appropriate.
Finance and Compliance Management
- Ensure the effective use and coordination of USAID resources and the compliance of the financial systems and controls with USAID standards.
- Ensure sound financial management including programmatic budgeting, spending, and monitoring of payments.
- Work closely with NCBA CLUSA’s security team and country team’s security focal point to develop and maintain security systems that promote the security and safety of all team members
Successful candidates will have the following qualifications:
- A Master’s degree or equivalent in climate change, solid waste management, ecology, environmental science, program management or related field.
- 8+ years of experience in managing large development programs (preferably USAID-funded), with a focus on climate change, solid waste management or environmental governance; USAID Chief of Party experience strongly preferred.
- Experience implementing or backstopping USAID programs with construction components and knowledge of donor regulations and requirements for construction activities strongly preferred.
- Ecuador nationals strongly preferred; all other candidates must be authorized to work in Ecuador and have 5+ years of experience working in Ecuador.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with government counterparts in the cooperating country, USG donors, and other key stakeholders and partners.
- Ability to successfully recruit, train, build capacity, motivate, and manage staff, and consortium partners.
- Experience designing and implementing gender-sensitive and youth inclusive development programming preferred.
- Ability to negotiate and manage agreements and all required programmatic and financial reporting requirements.
- Demonstrated understanding of USAID rules and regulations.
- Possess a high level of emotional intelligence, tact, and diplomacy; able to model respect in the workplace and for partners.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including an engaging style for public presentations, and analytical, interpersonal, and cross-cultural skills.
- Fluency in Spanish and English is required.
- This position will be based in Quito, Ecuador, with around 25% to 35% of the time for field travel for Program implementation and/or Program management duties.
- Cover Letter
- CV in reverse chronological format with most recent work listed first
The National Cooperative Business Association CLUSA International (NCBA CLUSA) is the primary voice for people who use cooperative businesses to build a better world and a more inclusive economy in the United States and globally. In the last 70 years, NCBA CLUSA has worked in over 85 countries in the areas of food security, agricultural development, strengthening of communities and farmer organizations, community-based health, natural resources management, and empowerment of smallholder farmers, women, and youth. Our community-led development approach empowers communities to identify, promote, and manage sustainable, locally generated solution. We currently work in Latin America, Africa, and Asia.
DO NOT USE FORM BELOW TO APPLY