Climate Smart Agriclture (CSA) Specialist
NCBA CLUSA and Farmers Union of Malawi (FUM) are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Climate Smart Agricultue (CSA) Specialist for a program in Malawi. S/he will support farmers in the systematic adoption of Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA) practices. S/he will have experience in helping Producer Organizations/farmers in taking up Good Agriculture Practices (GAP), integrate pest management, and agroforestry systems. S/he will be expected to support a team of technical staff in training, mentoring and coaching farmers on no-tillage, mulching, crop rotation, crop diversification and other CSA techniques to increase yields and climate resilience in Malawi. S/he should bring the latest agronomic research, technologies and techniques to the program through relationships with government, universities, donors and other partners. This program will emphasize a Learning and Adapting approach. The candidate will also support a learning agenda, in addition to being an experienced trainer and CSA Specialist.
ESSENTIAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Lead the development of manuals and trainings on CSA and GAP that will result in higher yields and farmer climate resilience;
- Coordinate with technical staff on implementation of farmer-led demonstration plots and other activities supporting the adoption of CSA practices;
- Establish and support partnerships with the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT), other research organizations, universities and government resources to support farmer access to CSA technologies and knowledge.
- Ensure program alignment with government of Malawi extension service staff (DAES) and the District Agricultural Extension Services System (DAESS) and the agriculture development strategy and other programs of the Ministry of Local Government and donors;
- Ensure PO investments/projects are compliant with the World Bank’s Environmental and Social Standards (ESS) and PO Business Plans contribute to climate resilience of farmers;
- Improve farmer land preparation, planting/timing, fertilizer application, wedding and weed control, soil fertility, sowing and spacing, drying, curing, and threshing, harvesting, post-harvesting, shelling and grading and/or intercropping.
- Work with technical staff to ensure POs access CSA appropriate inputs/technologies through PO Supply Networks (seed companies, suppliers and business service providers);
- Work with the program staff on interpreting results and presenting findings, recommendations, and lessons learned for publications, quarterly reports, program events/workshops, and when responding to periodic NCBA CLUSA HQ or donor requests.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- Master’s degree in relevant subject matter area;
- Minimum of 7-10 years’ experience with donor funded agriculture programs and supporting farmers implement GAP and CSA practices;
- Strong relationships with research institutions, universities and other knowledge partners;
- Demonstrated experience in increasing farmer adoption of GAP and CSA practices and using demonstration plots and other techniques/training methodologies;
- Experience in developing manuals, training and assisting POs with GAP and CSA and supporting their Business Plans;
- Ability to work with people and willingness to support and train others;
- Very high degree of social, political and cultural sensitivity;
- Reporting writing and data analysis skills;
- Strong written/oral communication;
- Ability to travel to project sites nationwide.
This position will be hired by FUM to work on the project with NCBA CLUSA. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, and legally protected characteristics for non-merit factors.
MODE OF APPLICATION:
To apply, please email your CV and cover letter email@example.com indicating the position(s) and region(s) to which you are applying.
Applications will be accepted through the closing date of Friday, 27th March, 2020. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. Only those applicants who qualify will be contacted. No Phone Calls will be accepted. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.