NCBA CLUSA and Malawi Union of Savings and Credit Cooperatives (MUSCCO) are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Financial Specialist for an agricultural program in Malawi. S/he will help facilitate partnerships between banks, MFIs, SACCOs and other financial service providers and Producer Organizations (POs) to increase investments in the commercialization of agriculture. S/he will work closely with POs and financial institutions to help the development of Productive Alliances (PAs) – agriculture business clusters that include buyers, input suppliers, financial institutions, and POs. S/he will be experienced in addressing the barriers to finance and supporting farmer organizations in accessing grants, loans and funding in support of their Business Plans, including PO sub-projects and last mile infrastructure. S/he will have experience helping POs build internal savings/capital, working with financial institutions, supporting agricultural finance, and understand commercial credit requirements in Malawi. This program will emphasize a Learning and Adapting approach. The candidate will also support a learning agenda, in addition to being an experienced trainer and PO finance and capitalization manager.
ESSENTIAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Support the identification and selection of financial service provider partners to participate in and help finance Productive Alliances (i.e. agriculture business clusters);
- Contribute to a robust pipeline of bankable proposals for POs by helping POs apply to a World Bank facility for grants/loans, use prudent guidelines and quality assurance measures for proposals, and facilitate meetings between financial institutions and POs;
- Improve the capacity of POs to increase access to grants, loans and mobilize resources internally and externally through stronger governance, financial management and financial literacy;
- Understanding of how commercial agreements between POs and buyers are used in Business Plans and support successful financing agreements with financial service providers;
- Design and deliver training sessions on commercial credit, financial management, and capacity building for increasing savings, member equity, grants, loans and other resources through PO Capitalization Plans;
- Work with POs in designing PO funds/accounts to build up savings to meet match requirements and invest in PO sub-projects (i.e. forward-looking financial planning);
- Help appraise PO Business Plans, Capitalization Plans and PO sub-projects so they meet World Bank grant/loan facility and commercial bank requirements and ensure quality assurance;
- Support partnerships with banks and other financial institutions to facilitate access to finance, including guarantees to SACCOs that in turn lend to POs;
- Work closely with the Agribusiness Specialists and PO Specialists in developing solid PO Business Plans and commercial agreements between POs and buyers that will attract financing;
- Work closely with the Agribusiness Specialists in identifying co-investment opportunities with POs, cooperatives, buyers, traders and other private sector partners that help commercialize agriculture (e.g. last mile infrastructure);
- Work closely with PO Specialists on ensuring POs gain knowledge on gross margin analysis, cost/benefit analysis, and measuring profitability;
- Work with the program staff on interpreting results and presenting findings, recommendations, and lessons learned for publications, quarterly reports, program events/workshops, and when responding to periodic NCBA CLUSA HQ or donor requests.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant subject matter area;
- 5-6 years minimum work-related experience to effectively perform the job’s responsibilities;
- Demonstrated experience supporting POs/cooperatives in developing plans and grant/loan applications that increase access to finance;
- Knowledge of banking systems and loan requirements and processes;
- Experience in training and assisting POs with commercial credit, financial management and building their capacity for mobilizing resources;
- Ability to work with people and willingness to support and train others;
- Very high degree of social, political and cultural sensitivity;
- Reporting writing and data analysis skills;
- Strong written/oral communication;
- Ability to travel to project sites nationwide.
This position will be hired by MUSCCO to work on the project with NCBA CLUSA. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, and legally protected characteristics for non-merit factors.
MODE OF APPLICATION:
To apply, please email your CV and cover letter firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the position(s) and region(s) to which you are applying.
Applications will be accepted through the closing date of Friday, 27th March, 2020. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. Only those applicants who qualify will be contacted. No Phone Calls will be accepted. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.Apply now