Knowledge Management and Visual Designer
|Location:||Home-Based – Will require at least 2 visits to the Washington D.C. office; may include a week-long trip in Senegal|
|Application Deadline:||October 11, 2019 (5:00 PM Eastern Time)|
|Type of Contract:||Individual Contract|
|Post Level:||Consultant – candidate must be prepared to submit an e-portfolio|
|Languages Required:||English; French highly desired|
|Expected Starting Date:||11/01/2019|
|Duration of Initial Contract:||estimated 01/11/2019 – December 31, 2019|
|Expected Duration of Assignment:||Approximately 35 working days with the possibility of extension for 30 to 45 working days|
The National Cooperative Business Association CLUSA International (NCBA CLUSA) is the primary voice for people who use cooperative businesses to build a better world and a more inclusive economy in the United States and around the world. The organization provides cross-sector education, technical assistance, and advocacy that helps co-ops thrive. In the last 60 years, NCBA CLUSA has worked in over 85 countries in the areas of food security, agricultural development, strengthening of communities and farmer organizations, community-based health, natural resources management, and empowerment of smallholder farmers, women, and youth. NCBA CLUSA is currently implementing a five-year agricultural program hereafter known as the “Millet Business Services Project” (MBSP), funded by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). The project began in October 2014 and is scheduled to end in December 2019. It seeks to work with 22,150 producers of millet, 16,630 trade beneficiaries, government agencies, and the private sector particularly in the millet producing/processing regions of Senegal including the specific areas of Kaolack, Kaffrine, Fatick, as well as the capital, Dakar.
Duties and Responsibilities
We are looking for qualified individuals interested in supporting the project team in capturing and documenting in English the knowledge and wealth of information generated by the MBSP over the life of the project. This assignment will focus on gathering key reports, studies, and communication supports from the project and convert the information into toolkits, flyers, and easy-to-digest manuals and share with the public. Job responsibilities include:
- Work with the field communication coordinator to obtain a directory of all relevant documentation suitable for the purpose of this assignment
- Harvest other relevant information that is not necessarily captured in the reports
- Develop a short -term plan and budget for the creation of project-related tools, including collaborations with graphic designers, printers, photographers and additional vendors as needed.
- Create visuals that fit harmoniously with the broader NCBA CLUSA’s communication strategy
- Convert selected reports and manuals into communication materials, toolkits, and visuals
- Support the communication specialist in Senegal in communication strategy around the closing ceremony in December 2019
- Develop success stories, photo essays and photos for publication that will promote the activities of the project.
- In collaboration with the field communication specialist and other officers, develop Fact Sheets, videos, articles in French and English.
- Harvest information from each of the project’s relevant reports, documents, presentations and other materials to create interactive PDF toolkits and educational documents (Brochures and booklets) in English
Required Skills and Experience
An advanced degree in communications, international affairs, public policy, journalism, or another relevant field.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant national/international working experience in the area of communications;
- Previous experience working on international development project(s);
- Proven record of producing articles, blogs, visual tools, and communications products using software, online platforms and CMS (i.e., InDesign/Photoshop, MailChimp or other HTML editors, Drupal/ WordPress, Vizualize and other infographic makers). At least 3 samples of previous work must be provided in an electronic portfolio.
- Fluency in English is required (written and verbal);
- Strong knowledge of French is desired;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required.
Evaluation of Applicants
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on a cumulative analysis taking into consideration the combination of the applicants’ qualifications and financial proposal. The award of the contract will be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
- responsive/compliant/acceptable, and
- Having received the highest score (see Technical Criteria, below)
Only highest ranked candidates who are deemed qualified for the assignment based on an initial review provided materials will be contacted. The panel of reviewers will make their decisions based solely upon the criteria listed below. Once finalists have been identified, NCBA CLUSA will consider evaluate final applicant’s financial/cost proposal.
Technical Criteria – 70% of total evaluation – max. 35 points:
- Criteria A – Minimum of 5 years of relevant national/international working experience in the area of communications – max points 9;
- Criteria B – Previous experience working on international development project – max points: 7;
- Criteria C – Experience producing high-quality articles, blogs, tools, and communications products using software, online platforms and CMS (i.e. InDesign/Photoshop, MailChimp or other HTML editors, Drupal/WordPress, Vizualize and other infographic makers). At least 3 samples of previous work must be provided; – max points: 9;
- Criteria D – Interview Criteria – Language skills, communication skills and technical knowledge – max points: 7;
- Criteria E – Methodology (evaluation of the brief approach on how the candidate would approach and conduct the activities (shall be uploaded by the applicant during online application) – max points: 3.
Only candidates who will receive at least 70% of points in the criteria above will be considered for financial evaluation.
Qualified candidates are requested to send the following items to Linda Akanvou at email@example.com.
The email should contain:
- An updated Resume
- A cover letter explaining why you are the most suitable candidate for the advertised position and a brief description (no more than 2 pages) of how you will approach and conduct the work.
- Minimum of 3 samples of previous work in relevant area.
- Financial Proposal as a separate document, clearly titled: FINANCIAL PROPOSAL, specifying the amount in US dollars for the tasks specified in this announcement
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please make sure you have provided all requested materials.
NCBA CLUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, and legally protected characteristics for non-merit factors.Apply now