SCOPE AND PURPOSE:
The Youth Technical Specialist provides programmatic expertise and technical acumen to the practice and business development process, as well as overall thought leadership. The incumbent ensures that projects are aligned with NCBA CLUSA’s principles and strategic priorities; oversees technical program design and quality control; provides overall integration of innovative ideas and evidence-based learning; and champions information exchange and learning across the organization.
Specifically, this position provides cross-cutting support to all practice areas on youth engagement, workforce development and Positive Youth Development. The Specialist should be experienced in designing and implementing USAID activities for youth development, including mastery of PYD. S/he will provide technical guidance to the practice areas and to business development, and technical support to projects.
ESSENTIAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Serve as lead technical resource to the program Practice Areas both at HQ and in the field; work with Practice Area Directors, Chiefs of Party and senior field technical staff in the development of a vision and strategy and ensure the quality of project interventions. Additionally, develop and maintain internal communication processes for sharing their collective project/program learnings.
- Collaborate with business development and program teams to identify and generate new business opportunities including positioning, capture planning and partnership development.
- Serve as proposal technical lead and/or writer and provide technical input to the project design, integrate technical and financial aspects, incorporate best practices, program solution models, and other resources as appropriate.
- Coordinate research to capture lessons learned and best practices from projects and ensure documentation and dissemination to inform organizational project design, implementation, and industry best practices.
- Apply superior writing skills and technical expertise to author articles and thought pieces, provide review and substantive editing to interim and technical reports, and craft technical proposals.
- Present at international conferences and participate in external working groups.
- Establish links with partner organizations, research institutions and private sector actors to tap innovations and bring in complementary technical capacities.
- Supervise program management staff and field staff and provide mentorship to the program management team.
- Provide programmatic and technical quality assurance to projects and participate in the management/backstopping of multi-year international donor-funded projects.
- Identify monitoring and evaluation, learning and knowledge management needs on international projects.
- Liaise with other staff members to share information regarding projects, to discuss field needs, and to develop strategies.
- Participates in the development of organizational processes and procedures to ensure efficient operations of program implementation.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES
- Master’s degree required in Business Administration, Public Policy and Administration, Social Science or related field.
- Minimum eight years of relevant program and technical work experience in a relevant area of Positive Youth Development, workforce development, youth business incubation, and skills development in the international development sector; field experience preferred.
- Demonstrated success leading and/or contributing to new business development can include bid/no-bid vetting, proposal design, proposal writing, market intelligence, development of external partnerships, etc.
- Demonstrated experience in design and/or delivery of training and technical assistance.
- International field experience working with multi-cultural teams.
- Experience with evidence-based learning opportunities and leveraging insights for program and organizational performance improvement.
- Demonstrated thought leader and innovator in specified area of technical expertise.
- Project management experience related to project oversight is a plus.
LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS: Excellent communication skills and fluency in English. Advanced proficiency (ability to communicate effectively in professional settings) in French or Spanish is required.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: 25% travel expected, including international travel.
To apply, click here. We recommend using either of these browsers when applying: Google Chrome or Firefox. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
NCBA CLUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, and legally protected characteristics for non-merit factors. Military veterans, AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
NCBA CLUSA is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in all facets of employment, including the employment application and selection process. If you have a disability that affects your ability to use our online system to apply for a position at NCBA CLUSA, please send an email to Brian Gunning or call 202.383-5465.Apply now