NCBA CLUSA is currently seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Youth Specialist for an upcoming program in Malawi. S/he will support the development of a Youth Strategy to guide the program’s efforts in producer organization (PO) capacity building and the commercialization of agriculture. S/he will be experienced in developing strategies for youth-led PO development and helping them access markets, finance, agriculture extension and other resources in Malawi. S/he will also have previously supported POs in increasing youth membership and leadership development. This program will emphasize a Learning and Adapting approach and the candidate should be knowledgeable in youth indicators, data collection, and M&E and supporting a learning agenda, in addition to being an experienced trainer and youth specialist. The position will be based in Lilongwe.
ESSENTIAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Collaborate with program leadership, M&E and technical staff to ensure that youth are integrated into the program across design, implementation and monitoring and evaluation through a Youth Strategy;
- Coordinate with program staff on the selection of Emerging Farmers as well as POs to invite to participate in the program that are willing and interested in social inclusion strategies for their businesses;
- Design and deliver training sessions to project staff and youth on youth entrepreneurship and youth-led POs using Positive Youth Development (PYD) and other youth-related strategies/approaches;
- Responsible for coordinating and directing activities related to youth mobilization and governance, financial literacy skills trainings, youth financial inclusion, entrepreneurship, technical skills trainings and mentorship at all levels.
- Work with technical/sector-specific staff, who focus on producer organizations (POs), agribusiness, financial services, and agriculture extension, to support formal trainings, informal sessions and manuals with a youth lens;
- In coordination with technical staff, identify and strengthen youth-led POs and their ability to integrate into value chains;
- Support the design and implementation of youth-led PO business plans and improved youth-led PO governance, financial management, bookkeeping, marketing and resource mobilization;
- Develop strategies for helping POs integrate youth into their membership, decision-making, and economic activities (e.g. through Youth Advisory Boards or Councils) and youth access resources, training and vocational skills;
- Provide input on the design of PO assessments, market analysis, financial analysis and business plans so they empower youth in production, service provision, input supply, trading, processing, extension and marketing of agriculture;
- In coordination with M&E team, support the development of youth indicators and the use of youth-led assessments, mapping exercises and research designs;
- Work with the program staff on interpreting results and presenting findings, recommendations, and lessons learned for publications, quarterly reports, program events/workshops, and when responding to periodic NCBA CLUSA HQ or donor requests.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s Degree, with a minimum of 5 years’ experience with donor funded agriculture programs and 5 years’ experience in supporting youth development;
- Strong experience in youth-led PO capacity building and business plans for commercialized production of agriculture and linking youth to markets, finance and extension services;
- Knowledge of Positive Youth Development preferred;
- Experience with peer-to-peer training, youth mentorship approaches, and holistic youth development;
- Experience in designing market assessments and interventions to empower youth with emphasis on resource mobilization (loans/grants) and supporting youth in leadership positions in POs or as Emerging Farmers;
- Experience in working directly with agriculture input suppliers, buyers and/or financial institutions preferred
- Ability to work with people and willingness to support and train others;
- Very high degree of social, political and cultural sensitivity;
- Reporting writing and data analysis skills;
- Strong written/oral communication;
- Ability to travel to project sites nationwide.
NCBA CLUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, and legally protected characteristics for non-merit factors.
MODE OF APPLICATION:
To apply, please email your CV and cover letter email@example.com indicating the position(s) and region(s) to which you are applying.
Applications will be accepted through the closing date of Friday, 27th March, 2020. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. Only those applicants who qualify will be contacted. No Phone Calls will be accepted. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.