Field Extension Agent
NCBA CLUSA and Farmers Union of Malawi are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Field Extension Agent for a program in Malawi. S/he will help farmers adopt Pluralistic Extension Services to commercialize their agriculture production. S/he will support commercial networks and relationships that support POs and their development within Productive Alliances (PAs) – agriculture business clusters that include buyers, input suppliers, financial institutions, and POs. S/he will have experience in supporting POs in adopting Good Agriculture Practices (GAP), Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA) and meeting certification standards in Malawi. S/he will be expected to have hands-on experience in working directly with Emerging Farmers/Lead Farmers and POs. This program will emphasize a Learning and Adapting approach. The candidate will also support a learning agenda, in addition to being an experienced trainer and Field Extension Agent.
ESSENTIAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Establish and support robust commercial networks for PO extension, including retailers, seed companies, agrichemical companies, fertilizer companies, equipment, processor, machinery, irrigation, warehousing, post-harvest technology, engineering services, custom-hire and after sales service providers;
- Train and coach EFs on understanding Pluralistic Extension, post-harvest management, warehouse management, warehouse receipts systems, commodity exchanges, and other forms of structured markets and information systems/ICT;
- Ensure program alignment with government of Malawi extension service staff (DAES) and the District Agricultural Extension Services System (DAESS) and the agriculture development strategy and other programs of the Ministry of Local Government and donors;
- Design and deliver training sessions on Good Agriculture Practices, Climate Smart Agriculture, and certification standards (i.e. establishing demonstration plots and organizing farmer field days);
- Increase product quality and address food safety, health, environment and other standards of POs to support greater demand;
- Support Emerging Farmers/POs in facilitating formation “aggregation points” for bulking production, facilitating trade, and the provision of services such as post-harvest management and quality control, in close collaboration with buyers;
- Work with the program staff on interpreting results and presenting findings, recommendations, and lessons learned for publications, quarterly reports, program events/workshops, and when responding to periodic NCBA CLUSA HQ or donor requests.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant subject matter area;
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience with donor funded agriculture programs and helping POs improve access to extension resulting in commercial agriculture;
- Ability to help farmers/POs access input, tools and technologies (such as seeds, fertilizer, inoculants, such as Aflasafe, processor equipment, post-harvest technologies, hermetic grain storage bags, micro-irrigation, mini-tractors, moisture testing, equipment, shellers and/or cost-effective technologies);
- Experience in increasing farmer yields through the adoption of GAP and CSA practices, demonstration plots, and certification standards;
- Experience in hands-on training of farmers/POs in strengthening their access to extensions services and supporting their Business Plans;
- Knowledge of warehouse receipts systems, commodity exchanges, and post-harvest management practices preferred;
- Ability to work with people and willingness to support and train others;
- Very high degree of social, political and cultural sensitivity;
- Strong written/oral communication;
- Ability to travel to project sites nationwide.
This position will be hired by FUM to work on the project with NCBA CLUSA. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, and legally protected characteristics for non-merit factors.
MODE OF APPLICATION:
To apply, please email your CV and cover letter email@example.com indicating the position(s) and region(s) to which you are applying.
Applications will be accepted through the closing date of Friday, 27th March, 2020. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. Only those applicants who qualify will be contacted. No Phone Calls will be accepted. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.