Job Posting: Cooperative Growth Consultant—Home Care
ICA seeks a passionate business consultant and network convener to help strengthen and grow the worker-owned home care sector. The ideal candidate will bring both strong relational skills and an entrepreneurial spirit to the position and should both enjoy working as a part of a cohesive team and thrive on taking initiative and personal accountability. Candidates with professional experience or a personal connection to care work and fluent Spanish speakers are strongly encouraged to apply.
Qualities we are looking for:
- Strong Relational Skills
- Active/intentional listening
- Strong organizer/relationship builder
- Ability to communicate complex concepts in an accessible manner
- “Entrepreneurial” Mindset
- Passionate/driven/results oriented
- Creative/problem solver
- Comfortable operating in the unknown/nimble when things change.
- Comfortable taking on new challenges/trying new things. Thrives on variety.
- Comfortable assessing, learning, and growing from past experiences.
- Business orientation
- Team player
- Strong team orientation, willingness to pitch-in as needed
- Comfortable asking for help/being vulnerable in a team setting
- Driven to achieve both personal and team results
About the Cooperative Growth Consultant
The ICA Group, a nonprofit dedicated to advancing businesses and institutions that center worker voice, grow worker wealth, and build worker power, seeks a Cooperative Growth Consultant to join its growing home care team. ICA’s home care program is one of three industry-specific programs at ICA focused on job quality transformation in an extractive, low-wage industry. The home care program operates as a self-directed team with cross-programmatic support on functions including outreach, communications, fundraising and business consulting. All ICA programs engage in cross-team collaboration and best practice sharing.
This is an exciting and unusual opportunity for someone interested in scaling a nascent sector and driving social change in the care economy through economic democracy. This position can be based out of the ICA Group’s offices in Northampton or New York City. Candidates with home care or other relevant industry experience based in Philadelphia or other areas will also be considered. This position requires traveling within the United States approximately 1 time per month (pending Covid conditions).
About the ICA Group
The ICA Group is a leading expert on worker ownership and the oldest national organization dedicated to the development of worker cooperatives. We are a mission- driven nonprofit organized as a worker cooperative and are dedicated to bringing strategic analysis and industry-focused support to the worker ownership sector. Our business expertise is bolstered by a deep understanding of worker ownership and other worker-centered structures, and a commitment to serving low-wage workers and communities of color.
The Cooperative Growth Consultant will be an integral part of our growing home care team, playing a key role in developing, managing, and delivering on projects in the home care sector and playing a coordinating role for the national home care cooperative network. The work involves business consulting, research, and the development of tools and resources, as well as network management, communication and organizing, to strengthen and grow the home care cooperative sector.
Client Support (50%)
- Conduct research, provide technical assistance, coach clients, and assist with any other related supportive work with an emphasis on start-up home care cooperative initiatives. Client support activities may include:
- Home care market assessments
- Business feasibility assessments and business planning
- Operational systems coaching
- Governance support
- Develop client responsive resources, tools, and training to support the operations, growth, and sustainability of home care cooperatives. Work may include:
- Writing templates, how-to guides, brochures
- Conducting research and preparing reports
- Conducting trainings or workshops for cooperative clients
- Build and maintain strong, collaborative client relationships
Network Management (40%)
- Identify and convene stakeholders for home care cooperative sector knowledge and peer exchange opportunities. Work may include:
- Coordinating cooperative learning cohorts
- Planning and facilitating webinars
- Supporting conference planning
- Engage proactively with exploratory and emerging home care cooperatives in the national network through:
- Regular check-ins
- Identifying support needs and connecting network members to appropriate resources
- Contact management and data collection
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of the home care industry and regularly share relevant information and news with network participants.
- Develop program materials to support client and partner outreach, program promotion, and awareness of the cooperative model in home care.
- Represent ICA home care at events; network with prospective partners and clients, make presentations as needed.
- Support home care communications including social media, newsletter and blog writing.
Organizational Development (10%)
- Identify and deliver insights from clients that will be broadly applicable to other areas of the ICA Group’s work
- Participate in and contribute to the ICA group’s cooperative culture, including committees and working groups.
The successful applicant will have two or more years of relevant work experience, be able to work independently, take full responsibility for assigned areas of work, and be comfortable managing a large and diverse portfolio of projects while maintaining high quality results. Curiosity, intelligence, and enthusiasm are all key attributes for this position.
Candidates must be able to relate well to a broad constituency, including low-wage workers, small business owners, leaders of community-based organizations, union officials, financial professionals, and company executives. We are looking for an exceptional, dedicated person with superior technical and professional skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to build client level relationships with diverse clients and stakeholders
- Comfort organizing, presenting, coaching, and training
- Proven ability to think strategically and creatively to solve complex problems
- Comfortable working in both a highly collaborative environment and being self-directed
- Excitement and interest in helping organizations scale effectively
Additional Desired Capabilities & Qualifications
- Fluency in Spanish (strongly desired)
- Professional or personal experience in the care sector or related fields
- Experience providing business technical assistance, training or coaching, or direct experience running a business
- Ability to use data and metrics to drive insights
- Associates Degree, BA, MA, MBA, MPA, JD or other higher education degree
- Experience in both process and project management. Familiarity with Salesforce a plus.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $62,000 to $66,800 commensurate with experience and local cost of living. The ICA Group uses a salary scale and the specific salary within that range is determined by years of experience. The ICA Group provides a generous benefits package including 4 weeks of paid vacation, 12 paid holidays, 8 days of paid sick leave, and health, dental, life, short- and long-term disability insurance. In addition to holidays, ICA Group’s offices are closed the week between 12/25 and 1/1 each year, as additional paid time off.
About Working at the ICA Group
The ICA Group is a rapidly growing nonprofit. All staff members are expected to help build organizational capacity, processes, and culture. The ICA Group has offices in New York City and Massachusetts and a hybrid remote/office work culture, although due to Covid-19 most are currently working from home. We utilize technology and virtual meetings on a daily basis, and prior to Covid-19, held quarterly in-person meetings. Our staff enjoy highly satisfying work in a diverse and stimulating environment. We are committed to a workplace culture that supports work-life balance and flexibility.
At the ICA Group, we value equity, diversity, and inclusion. We believe that in order to build a new economy where working people lead and own democratic workplaces, leaders in cooperative development must reflect the communities they serve. We support equitable opportunities for all people, and we strongly encourage people of color, women, individuals from the LGBTQIAA+ community, and others who identify as a part of historically marginalized communities to apply for open positions at the ICA Group.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis; however, applicants are strongly encouraged to apply by August 21, 2022. Apply by copying and pasting the following link into your web browser: