On May 20, 2021 Colorado Sen. John Hickenlooper (D-CO) introduced the Capital for Cooperatives Act, an historic proposal for opening the doors of the Small Business Administration to cooperatives of all kinds. If made law, this bill would enable member-owned businesses to access resources that other kinds of businesses have long enjoyed.
Media Enterprise Design Lab at the University of Colorado Boulder and Zebras Unite is hosting a free webinar on September 20, 2021 from 10-11 am MT, to hear from leaders in the Colorado cooperative sector about the importance of capital access, as well as a representative from Sen. Hickenlooper’s team, who will discuss the bill’s progress so far. Presenters include:
- Sandra Baca (Assistant Director, Rocky Mountain Farmers Union Cooperative Development Center)
- John Conrad (Special Assistant to Sen. John Hickenlooper)
- Yessica Holguin (Executive Director, Center for Community Wealth Building)
- Doug O’Brien (CEO, NCBA CLUSA)
- Linda Phillips (Senior of Counsel, Jason Wiener|p.c.)
NCBA CLUSA and more than 250 co-op organizations and partners are proud to support this legislation.