Worker-Owned Co-ops are Coming for the Digital Gig Economy


An article published last week by Fast Company argues that the recent stumbles of companies like Uber and Handy have cleared the path for worker-owned digital platforms to replace them.

Platform cooperatives like Up & Go, covered in the Winter 2018 issue of NCBA CLUSA’s Cooperative Business Journal, are transforming the landscape of the gig economy. Unlike traditional home-services apps that keep between 20 and 50 percent of the service fee, Up & Go workers take home 95 percent. The remaining 5 percent covers app maintenance.

Despite the benefits of ownership, worker-owned cooperatives still make up only a fraction of the market of gig economy companies. But the Platform Cooperative Consortium at The New School is working on a development kit that could make it easier for worker-owned platforms to scale.

Read the full article here: https://www.fastcompany.com/40575728/worker-owned-co-ops-are-coming-for-the-digital-gig-economy

Share This Post

We hope you enjoyed this article. If you did, we would love it if you would share it to your social networks!