Serious runners, weekend warriors, stroller pushers and dog walkers are invited to kick off Co-op Month at the 27th Annual Co-op 5K on October 3 at Hains Point Park in Washington, DC.
Registration includes a race t-shirt, co-op swag bag, finish line breakfast, and team and individual prizes.
This year’s event is also an opportunity for the cooperative community to show its support of NRECA President Jo Ann Emerson and her family. Emerson suffered a brain hemorrhage earlier this summer and remains hospitalized. In addition to running on individual teams, all participants will be part of Team Jo Ann.
NRECA has created a Facebook page titled, “Notes to Jo Ann” where individuals throughout the cooperative movement can show its support for Emerson and her family.
Additionally, the event will include an opportunity to sign a book for the Emerson family and take a Team Jo Ann group photo. NRECA Executive Vice President Martin Lowery and NCB CEO Chuck Snyder will be race marshals. Race packets can be picked up starting at 7:00 am; the 5k begins at 8:00 am; and prizes will be awarded at 9:30.
Proceeds from the event will support the Cooperative Development Foundation’s work to promote community economic and social development through cooperative enterprise. CDF provides:
• grants to cooperatives recovering from natural disasters at home and abroad
• bridge loans for the purchase and renovation of cooperative housing
• support for research and education related to the development of home care worker cooperatives
• grants for international cooperative development projects
• scholarships to support training for boards and staffs of food cooperatives
For more information about the Cooperative Development Foundation, go to: www.cdf.coop.