Shoppers in seven states recently named a retail food co-op as the best independent grocery store in their respective state.
According to data 24/7 Tempo recently released ranking top supermarkets and grocery stores in each state, customers voted these seven retail food co-ops, all members of National Co+op Grocers (NCG) and most members of NCBA CLUSA, as their favorite independent stores:
- Alaska: Co-op Market Grocery & Deli, Fairbanks YES
- Maine: Portland Food Co-op, Portland
- Nevada: Great Basin Community Food Co-op, Reno YES
- New Mexico: Mountain View Market, Las Cruces
- North Carolina: Tidal Creek Cooperative Food Market, Wilmington
- Tennessee: Three Rivers Market, Knoxville YES
- Vermont: City Market/Onion River Co-op, Burlington YES
“Unlike corporate grocery chains, food co-ops are totally independent and owned by the community members who shop there. Instead of focusing on investors, food co-ops focus on providing fresh, healthy food for shoppers, creating sustainable jobs for employees, building a strong regional food system for everyone, and giving back to their community,” said C.E. Pugh, CEO of NCG.
“It’s no surprise that so many shoppers appreciate the value of their community-owned food co-op, but few industries are as competitive as the grocery business, so that makes us especially proud of our member co-ops achieving these hard-earned rankings. It’s a true testament to our co-ops working diligently to serve their members and communities, and toward the day when everyone has the fresh, healthy food they deserve.”
To determine the best supermarket in every state, 24/7 Tempo ranked grocery stores using a combination of data from Yelp and Google Trends.